Capture critical performance and failures data
every 20 seconds
Vibration Memory Sub for Drilling Optimization
The SureDrill™ Vibration Memory Sub (VMS™) is a standalone downhole tool that measures, calculates and records axial, lateral and angular down-hole vibrations for retrieval and analysis at the surface. The VMS allows operators to assess the severity of downhole drilling shock and vibration, including stick-slip and whirl, and correlate the data to drilling events and equipment performance or failures.
Axial/Lateral Spectral Density of High-Vibration Event
Calculated Vibration Data
Every 20 seconds, the microprocessor calculates and stores:
- Maximum lateral acceleration – vector sum of X- and Y-accelerometer measurements
- RMS lateral acceleration
- Maximum half-second RMS lateral acceleration
- Maximum axial vibration – from z-accelerometer
- RMS axial acceleration
- Maximum half-second RMS axial acceleration
- Maximum and minimum angular speed (RPM)
- Stick-slip ratio and other rotational parameters
- Absolute date and time
Allow operators to assess the severity of downhole drilling shock and vibration, including stick-slip and whirl, and correlate the data to critical drilling events and equipment performance.
Features & Benefits
- Downhole vibration measurements are stamped by date and time for correlation with other data.
- Provides data in the form of ASCII text files which can analyzed by APS’s Vibration Data Viewer software or your own analysis software.
- 32 MB of memory; record up to ~250 hours of continuous data.
- Data is easily retrieved by accessing the data dump port on the sub and connecting it through an Interface Box to PC-based software that converts the stored data to a text file with acceleration levels as a function of real time.
- Available sizes: 4.75 in. (121 mm), 6.75 in. (172 mm) and 8.00 in. (203 mm) O.D.
- Sonde-based tool with standard box and pin connections.
- Sonde-based design allows tool to be scaled up or down easily for use with other drill collar sizes.
- Vibration measurements are made using ± 120 g (lateral) and ± 60 g (axial) accelerometers, plus one fluxgate magnetometer rotation sensor.
Axial/Lateral Vibration vs. Time
- Characterize downhole conditions for future BHA planning
- Post-well analysis of equipment failures
- Provide evidence for use in warranty claim resolution
SureDrill-VMS Technical Data Sheet
||4.75 in. (121 mm) OD
2.687 in. (68 mm) ID
|6.75 in. (172 mm) OD
3.25 in. (85 mm) ID
|8.00 in. (203 mm) OD
3.50 in. (89 mm) ID
||NC 38 Box/Pin
||NC 50 Box/Pin
||6 5/8 Reg
||66 in. (167.6 cm)
||270 lb (122.5 kg)
||470 lb (213.2 kg)
||825 lb (374.2 kg)
||20,000 psi (137.9 MPa)
||-40˚ to 302˚F (-40˚ to 150˚C)
|Data Collection & Handling
||Limited by battery life; ~ 250 hrs
||± 120 g (X & Y axes), ± 60 g (Z axis); surface mount
|Acceleration Data Range
||± 120 g (X & Y axes), ± 60 g (Z axis)
|Rotation Rate Data Range
||± 1,500 RPM (± 157 rad/s)